"A wine haven...small but perfectly formed.”
When James Kirkness opened his shop opposite St Magnus Cathedral in 1859, it was as a wine merchant and licensed grocer. Still owned and run by his descendants, and still in the original premises, we may well be Scotland’s oldest-established wine dealer still in family ownership.
But there's more to K&G than wine... Our second speciality is cheese: we have approximately 60 to choose from every day, from locally-produced favourites to the best Scottish and English territorial cheeses, to classic continental varieties. From Grimbister to Westray Wife, Lanark Blue to Stinking Bishop, Papillon Roquefort to Brie de Nangis, all are in perfect condition. (And we can supply crackers, oatcakes and chutneys too.)
We also carry a high quality range of whisky. Of course we specialise in the two Orkney distilleries, and have an unusually broad choice of both Highland Park and Scapa. But there's also a good range of interesting and unusual bottles from across the country...and beyond. Craft gin is well represented too, as well as an ever-changing selection of speciality spirits from around the world.