John G Shearer and Sons is a family business that was founded in 1921 by John G Shearer operating from West Castle Street, Kirkwall as a coal merchant and shipping agent. In the late 1930’s part of the current site in Burnmouth Road was purchased and was used as a repair garage for cars & motorcycles. In the 1940's John Shearer was joined by his son John W Shearer and had become agents for Triumph, Velocette and Sunbeam motorcycles
The early 1960’s saw the premises on Burnmouth Road increase with the purchase of the adjoining business. Shearer’s continued selling motorcycles, procuring the Lambretta Scooter franchise and the Honda Motorcycle franchise in 1964. An original 1975 Honda CB250G5 which was originally sold by Shearers can be seen on display in the Kirkwall showroom today.
In 1965b saw the beginning of the petrol developments with the first petrol station in Orkney to offer 24 hour fuel with a coin operated Pay at the Pump dispenser. Then in 1966 the long relationship with Vauxhall began, this included sales, servicing and the Vauxhall rental franchise.
More recently in 2007 the start of a major redevelopment of the business began with the building of a large petrol forecourt with 8 double hose pumps that use the very latest technology, including a Pay at the Pump capability using most credit and debit cards, and allowing fuel to be drawn 24 hours a day / 365 days a year in Orkney.
In 2013 the next phase of the redevelopment began with the knocking down the old workshop and executing a brand new building, which was finished in early 2014. With the new build there was a move from the motor trade into the baby/nursery market working with known brands as iCandy, Mamas and Papas and babystyle.
2014 saw the re branding of the business to Ticketyboo.
2015 has seen the business move forward in terms of providing alternative fuel by installing a Rapid Charger for electric vehicles, enabling a 80% charge of a vehicle in about 20 minutes.
Since the company began in 1921 it has remained in family ownership and is now in its fourth generation, from John G Shearer, to his son John W Shearer with his son John G Shearer (Jack) joining in 1974 and his son Jonathan joining in 2004.